The Chai Connection.

Getting our graduation done and planning for masters everything was going in routine until one of my friends pops up. Let's go Sikkim, pointing towards the North of Sikkim. Let's go we said and the next notification I got was a message your ticket has been confirmed.


We landed in Delhi, the world's second most populous country it seemed well defined at that moment. We took our trains, I preferred the local cabin,  I wanted to meet new people, learn about their lifestyle, their language etc.


 I got along in a matter of an hour they were heading towards a village not far from Darjeeling, they insisted I visit Darjeeling and try a tea. I laughed as the tea vendors kept on coming and going within monotonous tone - " Chai Lelo Chai Chai". Their voice still echoes in my ears but I was curious how could someone call for just a hot drink which is available in tea bags all around the world,

I had tried brands which labeled they got tea leaves from Darjeeling but I didn't find anything special. But there was something special in the way they told me.


We didn't head Darjeeling instead we went and explored the North of Sikkim, the Valleys, the Mist, the dangerous curves on the roads it felt like everything was alive, everything was living every edge we felt the car could slip but it just gave us an adrenaline boost to go further.


 We reached Zero points a place where cars can't go beyond and to some extent not even humans. We wanted to see snow, touch it, feel it and of course, throw on each. It was hard as we couldn't find any snow the entire 3 days we explored the city there was snow on the peak of mountains.


We decided to go without any sort of gear or oxygen tanks at 16,000ft.  Half the way we could feel the pressure and lack of oxygen obviously as I was taller than the rest I felt it first. I went along another 300 meters but beyond that, I gave up. But the guy who bought in the plan gave no signs of stopping he went on going until I could see him as tiny as an ant.


There was no network or any sort of thing we decided to go up and call him back, In the end, we saw him come back he was out of breath, we rushed down as he was feeling dizzy.


After a while he said, it was an Illusion it is water flowing from far it was still and appeared as snow. Everyone laughed but I had my mind on the tea. I told my friends to let's stop by Darjeeling for a while since we had 2 days left.


They agreed and we went, we were all tired as it was a long drive. We stopped for a while at a small shop. There were an Old Lady and the best part she had Tea and we were in Darjeeling, excited I told her I came all the way to try this tea and the story, she gave an address and told to go there to try.


We first checked in dropped our bags and we set off to the address hoping to grab some local food on the way, the address belongs to none but the old lady she had freshly dried tea leaves from her own farm with her that's why she called us yesterday as a symbol of hospitality. It was a  small house but she had a big heart we fitted in anyhow  She put the water on the boil and then added the tea leaves. I still remember that aroma, that smell. It was as if with every breath was energizing.


I couldn't resist, finally it came in earthen cups I drank a sip. I lost it, I could feel the entire trip flash in front, the people who told me to try the tea in the train, the curves and edges of the road my mind felt like it rewired. Everything seemed to be so fresh and amazing that day I drank 3 cups as well as my friends half cup. Never had I tasted anything so natural, so fresh.  I bought her entire tea powder and have it till now drinking while writing my travel story down.






Comments

Popular